Sunday, August 06, 2006

Artist Alter of Intention : (25) Tiny Oriental Fans

I've always appreciated the allure of oriental hand fans, from a very young age collected and decorated with them. I have even depicted them in paintings, and generally they represent me in the composition. I especially like antique or old ones, and during my stay in Illinois my nieces noticed all the old ones I kept from auctions and decorated with. The small round silk fan they found for me on a trip to Disneyland, and they returned home so excited they actually found someone to write my name on it in Chinese as well. Just the perfect size for my alter, this fan actually represents the three of them to me.
The other tiny oriental folding fan was one I found in a box of old memorabilia during my auction years, and it was so tiny and perfect I kept it for my alter as well. Generally it just reminds me of my younger self, fascinated with oriental fans, thinking they were mysterious and beautiful.

No comments: