Wednesday, August 30, 2006

(14) October 5, 1969 Day-Glow a Go-Go

1969: First Class Stamp $0.06 cents
"One small step for man, one giant leap for mankind"
"Kenner Easy Bake Oven" cooked treats with a light bulb
Monty Python's Flying Circus airs its first episode on the BBC
Andy Warhol and Gerard Malanga co-found the magazine, Interview
Maya Angelou publishes- "I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings"
WOODSTOCK
The Jackson Five release their debut album
Children's Television Workshop introduces Sesame Street.
STONEWALL
This was the year I got my very own room. This is a rite of passage to any pre-teen, but especially one with five little brothers and sisters. The best part of it was I could decorate it in any way I wanted, and my choice was "purple hippie chick." Purple shag rug, various shades of purple velvet throw pillows, blacklight bulbs and day glow posters. I actually made my own posters, using the overhead projector in the art room at school during lunch period, and I became a budding entrepreneur when other kids at school found out I could do this. I painted day-glo portraits of all kinds of celebrities and teen idols, and traded them for cash as well as swag. I eventually saved up enough to buy a big blow up chair and beaded doorway for my room, and it was some kinda pad when finished. I have to admit the apple certainly doesn't fall far from the tree when you consider my current couch is crushed purple velvet with throw cushions that reverse from purple velvet to leopard skin. (LOL) It all started here folks.

No comments: