Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Artist Alter of Intention : (14) Vintage Hand Pin with Keys

I have always been fascinated by hands. They come up in my paintings a lot, and there are many things that hands can symbolize. Hands can be a symbol of the whole of humanity or the individual. Hands are very expressive, sometimes even more than faces, and they even serve as a language for the deaf. Difficult to paint, in some ways when they show up in my paintings hands represent my dogged determination to do so.
This pin was found in a large lot of vintage jewelry, and I do like hand pins so I kept this one. Holding five keys, I thought this pin was perfect to represent the key of knowledge, the key of success, the key of life, the key of faith, with the last key unlocking mystery. Much more symbolism than the designer intended I am sure, but it works for me.

No comments: