Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Artist Alter of Intention : (13) Day of the Dead Skull

This little Hispanic Day of the Dead Scull charm has been on my alter for years and years. I grew up in Texas, and was always very attracted to and influenced by Hispanic culture, and with my own alter building bent I was of course fascinated by Day of the Dead rituals. Now mind you, this was way back in the early 80's when good southern women didn't even know such things existed. Even members of my own family found my obsession with collecting skeletons a little strange. This skull charm made the trek with me to live in Alaska, and I can assure you there weren't may skeletons on alters there.
I have always admired the straightforward manner in which the Hispanic culture accepts and sees death as a natural part of the experience of life, even to the point of finding the humor and celebration in it. This skull finds it's place on my alter as a representation of my past, and to remind me this is everyone's unavoidable future.

No comments: