Thursday, August 03, 2006

Artist Alter of Intention : (16) Antique Plastic Rosaries

There are two rosaries on my alter, both very old plastic ones. I have always liked the idea of rosaries, a devotional item meant to be touched everyday that provides focus of intent.

The reason I like these two especially is that they are very old plastic, made when plastic was a new thing and almost considered semi precious material. Hard to imagine that now in the age of Tupperware. They are both very detailed and were lovingly crafted, the smaller greenish one looks to have been made for a religious sculpture to wear, and it is old Day-glo plastic. As stated before, all faiths are represented on my alter. I believe in equal opportunity spirituality, and these represent the Christian faith. My Mom used to laugh at me about this, and say I treated all faiths as the same because I was "covering all my bases." Of course she would think that, being the proud atheist. I actually seriously study all faiths to find their similarities, as I believe faith is a common thread among all of humanity. And there must be faith for art to exist. But I guess being respectful of all religions when the final curtain falls wouldn't hurt either.

No comments: