Saturday, September 30, 2006

(50) October 5, 2005 A "Whirlwind" Year...

2005: First Class Stamp $0.37 cents
Hurricane Katrina wreaks catastrophic damage on the Gulf coast
The marriage of The Prince of Wales and Camilla Parker Bowles
The U.S. death toll in Iraq reaches 2,000.
LOGO, a TV channel for lesbian, gay, bisexual, and transgender adults,
is launched in the United States.
Pope John Paul II Dies
"My Name is Earl" premieres on NBC
"Brokeback Mountain", "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy"
and "RENT" in theaters
Oil Prices rise sharply following the economic effects
of Hurricane Katrina
In the passage of years, it has been my experience sometimes one comes along and in a short time changes everything. This was a year like that for me. In short order my role in the food business had changed, my Mother and only parent died, an old love returned full force to recapture me, I moved temporarily to Texas, and on my birthday this year I found myself in a devastated New Orleans picking through Wade's damaged life. It was a fast and furious year, situations changing from one day to the next, and it had been a long time since the ground shifted under me quite like that. But finding myself in a year of quiet contemplation afterwards, I finally understood these lines from an Indigo Girl's song I memorized long ago:
"We own nothing, nothing is ours.
Not even love so fierce it burns like baby stars.
But this poverty is our greatest gift.
The weightlessness of us as things around begin to shift"

No comments: