Tuesday, September 26, 2006

(46) October 5, 2001 In a small theater in Arkansas

2001: First Class Stamp $0.34 cents
George W. Bush is sworn in as the 43rd President of the United States
Andrea Yates drowns her children in a bathtub
9-11
ENRON files for Chapter 11 bankruptcy
Black Monolith found in Seattle's Magnuson Park, by an anonymous artist
in reference to the movie 2001: A Space Odyssey.
"Six Feet Under" debuts on HBO
"Moulin Rouge" and "Donnie Darko" in theaters
"Moulin Rogue"; just the thought of this movie makes me smile. The world seemed so bleak at this time, and the realization that our countries election had been "hi-jacked" in such a way effected almost everyone I knew, and struck terror in the heart of this Texan. The bright spot this year was definitely Xi. Met on a message board on AOL, she was a true diamond in the dreck. A kindred spirit and artist, we saw this Baz Lurhman's movie together in a dusty Arkansas theater when I visited her at her mountain home that summer. How could you not admire a woman that would jump in a pickup truck and drive 11 hours just to meet? She came just when I needed to believe in magic again. And through her, I regained some of my faith in human beings in general, and lesbians in particular. This is an art letter she sent to me, the one describing our first meeting. I will never forget your kindness my friend, and will cherish this memory of how we met always.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Not that I am into reading other people's mail, but Xi's letter looks fabulous so I can only imagine how it must read. Too cool!

Rog