Wednesday, September 20, 2006

(35) October 5, 1990 Epicenter of "Cool"

1990: First Class Stamp $0.25 cents
Jimi Hendrix's Fender Stratocaster Guitar
auctioned off in London for $295,000
Milli Vanilli admits to lip-synching "Girl You Know It's True."
and later have their Grammy award revoked.
The first known Web page is written.
"Twin Peaks" premieres on ABC.
Painting by Vincent van Gogh is sold for a record $82.5 million
The Leaning Tower of Pisa is closed to the public due to safety concerns
"VOGUE" by Madonna
Former president, Ronald Reagan, apologized
for his neglect of the epidemic during his term, a little late.
Keith Haring dies of Aids, as well as Ryan White
31,102 AIDS Deaths in the USA
Seattle. The place we decided to make home after traveling so long around the country. A beautiful city, with a sense of promise in the air and art to be found everywhere. I lived with Marty and Roger for a summer, in a small apartment on Roy St. After Howard's death, I had decided the best memorial to my friend was to make my art my full time living, and so this year found me doing all manner of art projects, working my way up to building my own business. This was the year "Three Tacky Texans" was born, named after Marty, Roger and I. Originally developed for a coverall for all our art individual projects, eventually it turned into my wholesale jewelry company. Small steps do indeed cover large distances, as the jewelry company grew exponentially. The idea to use Frida Kahlo images in pieces came about this time, as Hispanic arts had always been my interest and the resulting pieces looked very much like tiny alters to wear. My favorite design though, was my pendant necklace that told the fortune of the wearer when the front piece was spun.
I also started a group of wall pieces that I called "Everyday Icons" that were funny alterpieces dedicated to everyday issues in life. Like everything I find, a body of work builds on what comes before it. These were the seeds I found in my new home.

No comments: