Wednesday, September 06, 2006

(20) October 5,1975 The Holy Grail

1975: First Class Stamp $0.13 cents
The Altair 8800 micro computer arrives
"Rocky Horror Picture Show" illustrates "glam rock"
Jimmy Hoffa vanishes into thin air
"Saturday Night Live" begins, George Carlin was the first host
"Monty Python and the Holy Grail" debuts in theaters
"A Chorus Line" debuts on Broadway
The term "Micro-soft"(as a shortened version "microcomputer software")
is first mentioned by Bill Gates in a letter to Paul Allen
I'm sure QUEEN's "Bohemian Rhapsody" damaged my hearing
I admit it. Yes, this was the year I graduated from High School. This was the year I lost my dearest grandmother, Dixie Lafayette. These were important markers in anyone's life, but writing here I must confess to the silliest memory that stands out in this year for me. For this was the year I became obsessed with all things "Monty Python."
Dallas was the first PBS market to show the BBC's "Monty Python" nationally, and I had cut my teeth on the BBC TV episodes for quite a while before the movie "Monty Python and the Holy Grail" was released. For some unknown reason, this comedy troupe delighted me, and when the movie was released I saw "Holy Grail" thirty-three times in the theater. Yes folks, that was not a typo...thirty-three times. (I even paid for at least 20 of those viewings LOL) I forced every friend I had to go with me, and even went to see it by myself. I had managed to see the "Worldwide" Premiere in Dallas, and to this day I still have the coconut they passed out to the folks that attended the opening. I could recite the dialog and songs verbatim for a years afterwards. With some teenagers it was rock stars, with some television and movie stars, with me it was comedians. Go figure.
Don't even get me started on "Saturday Night Live." (LOL)

No comments: