Friday, September 01, 2006

(16) October 5,1971 Hippie Chicklette





1971: First Class Stamp $0.08 cents
D.B. Cooper Parachutes from a hijacked plane with $200,000.
Rothko Chapel is completed in Houston
Just one word: ABBA
"The Bell Jar" published by Sylvia Plath
Jim Morrison dies of an overdose in Paris
Hunter S. Thompson publishes
"Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas"
and lest we ever forget: "The Sonny and Cher Comedy Hour"
This is me at 15. I was in the backyard of my grandparent's home, where my grandfather was taking pictures of some of my artwork for my application to the Skyline Magnet High School Fine Arts Program. He took this one of me with some of my awards under duress as I was one intense little "hippie chicklette," and didn't want to be bothered. Years later, when my grandfather had passed away I found this little picture of me in his workshop as we cleared it out. He loved this picture, mainly because at this age I looked so much like my grandmother when he met her.
Flash forward to the future. Last year when my mother died I prepared a little photo scrapbook for family members, and found this picture after years of not remembering I had it. The amazing thing about this is, I have a 20 year old "retro hippie dude" nephew now and when I found this I gasped, as we look almost exactly alike. Same coloring, same stance, same intensity. There is definitely something to be said for genetics, and now his favorite picture of me is this one. Life is a big cycle, interesting and comforting when you see it repeat.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did we all have long hair in the 70's? lol

Cute photo.

webbie

Laura Belle said...

Hey baby, it was required for hip chicks. (LOL)