Sunday, September 10, 2006

(24) October 5, 1979 Party Girl

1979: First Class Stamp $0.15 cents
Nuclear Accident at Three Mile Island
"We are Family" by Sister Sledge released
The year of the movie: "All That Jazz", "The Rose",
"Apocalypse Now", and don't forget Sigourney Weaver in "Alien"
God help us "The Dukes of Hazard"
"Voulez-Vous Abba?"
William Styron publishes"Sophie's Choice"
Iran Hostage Crisis Begins
DISCO. To even type the word gives me a shiver down my spine, but you could not be a 23 year old Lesbian in 1979 without many stories of this particular craze. Although "Sassy's" in Dallas was the lesbian bar du jour, "The Old Plantation" was the disco dance bar, mainly catering to male homosexuals. This was probably the one and only year I would say I was a "party girl" in my life, even though I never drank or drugged as much as this title would actually call for. I look back at this time as really the "last hurrah" in some aspects, because a very conservative backlash to the social strides of the seventies was upon us, as well as a deadly disease right around the corner. You are only young once, and this was the year we all went wild. Some of us were just lucky to make it through to tell the tale.

No comments: