Tuesday, September 26, 2006

(43) October 5, 1998 Teatro ZinZanni and Douglas

1998: First Class Stamp $0.32 cents
Smoking is banned in all California bars and restaurants
The wife of Saturday Night Live comedian Phil Hartman kills him...
while Charlton Heston becomes president of the NRA
Monica Lewinsky
Apple Computers introduce the iMac
Frank Sinatra dies
Jessee Ventura elected Govenor of Minnesota.
Elton John is knighted by Queen Elizabeth at Buckingham Palace
"Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas" and "God and Monsters" in theaters
Matthew Shepard, gay Wyoming student, fatally beaten in hate crime
This was the year everything changed for me. After fighting the good fight, I was removed from my home of six years by my landlord Douglas, who had a little problem with my home alter items and the thought of such a "visible" lesbian in his building. I took this very hard, as I am a creature of my home, and this is the first time I truly realized that law was not fairly distributed to all citizens. A really rude awakening. So began the feeling of impermanence that has haunted me ever since.
Teatro ZinZanni opened in Seattle this year, and I was privledged to be invited to the opening night of this production by my association with One Reel Productions. It was clear from the very beginning this was an unusually creative dinner theater, and I must have taken every single person I knew to see it over the first run. It was a very bright spot in a very difficult year, and I would highly recommend it as an experience to anyone visiting Seattle or San Francisco.

No comments: