Wednesday, September 20, 2006

(33) October 5, 1988 The 15%

1988: First Class Stamp $0.25 cents
Pam Am 747 Explodes over Lockerbie, Scotland
Jessica McClure fell into the Well
Michael Jackson purchases "Neverland" Ranch
"The California Raisins" heard it through the grapevine
U.S. C. Everett Koop states that the addictive
properties of nicotine are similar to those of heroin and cocaine.
BEETLEJUICE
Alaska is published by James A. Michener
"Dangerous Liaisons" in theaters
"Don't Worry, Be Happy"
The U.S. government mailed 107 million copies of a booklet entitled,
"Understanding AIDS," to American homes
20,786 AIDS Deaths in the USA, including Howard
Being young and idealistic, I always made an effort to be involved in some sort of community activism. In Alaska this ended up being asked to be vice president of a non profit organization called "The 15%", so named because there did seem to be a disproportionate population of lesbian women residing in Anchorage as compared to other cities. This organization threw fund raising parties all year long for the lesbian community, the proceeds used for the communities fight against the killer AIDS.
Part of my duties as vice president that year was to be the director of the largest event, Celebration of Change, which was an evening of women's music/talent show. Oh, the headaches! Oh, the lesbian angst! Oh, the late night rehearsals! Oh, the "I won't stand next to her on stage" hissy fits! On, the DRAMA! Although I love them, it was this experience that led me to my oft used quote "I would be hesitant to direct 80 lesbian women to the bathroom." It did end up being an incredible evening going off without a hitch, and everyone thought I was a happy prom queen when I was called up and given roses in the end. Truth was, I was relieved it was over without bloodshed. Until next year.

No comments: