Sunday, September 24, 2006

(42) October 5, 1997 "Bubba" and "Nadine"

1997: First Class Stamp $0.32 cents
Hong Kong returns to Chinese rule
Bill Clinton is back for a second term
Heaven's Gate Cult members commit mass suicide in California
"MMMBop" :::shiver::: again
First "Harry Potter" by J.K.Rowling is published
Diana, Princess of Wales dies in car crash
"South Park" is aired for the first time on Comedy Central.
Murder of fashion designer Gianni Versace
"Titanic" and "Men in Black" in theaters
AIDS is 8th leading cause of death in U.S.
Spent a lot of time and effort getting Bill Clinton back in office, and finished the 18 month painting jag it took to publish my "Twister Ridge" Poor White Trash Paperdoll Book. I had actually started on a drag queen paperdoll book, and scrapped it in the last hour because it was rumored Chronicle Books in San Francisco was publishing one and I didn't want to compete. I learned a very valuable lesson from this, because the book they published was not all that great, and my dolls were really fun and I am sure would have sold better to the general public. C'est La Vie.
I came to love "Bubba" and "Nadine" just as well, and the media around their launch was intense. This was the year of the big article in the Seattle Times Magazine that featured me and used the paperdolls as a design element, and the year that my home alter was featured in the artist's home studio walk by COCA Museum. After this, I was suddenly "known" by people on the street everywhere I went, and this was very disconcerting for me. I know there are people that love this kind of attention, but I promise it is not all it is cracked up to be. Especially as an artist, since it really cuts down on your ability to observe and reflect life when your anonymity is gone.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

1997 was one of the more intense year's of my life. It was the year I left Seattle to move to New York, thanks to the Directory of Classes. While the relocation was quite literally a dream come true (remind me if I've not told you the dream) what was more significant was the personal growth prompted by needing to leave Seattle with no loose ends. 1997 was the year I got my friend Laura back. I am forever thankful for every day you have been my friend and for the grace your love embodies. Sincerely,
Roger

Laura Belle said...

You hadn't lost me sweetie, just misplaced me for a while.:)

So we've had our "Beaches" arguement between friends. Isn't it nice to know we don't have to anticipate another one? (LOL) Besides...I'll even let you be Bette Midler...

Love you, as always...
Laura