Monday, July 24, 2006

To LOGO or not to LOGO, that is the question

Now I have been an activist all my life, sometimes more active than other times, and when LOGO channel was added to all the cable networks nationwide last year during Pride week I was thrilled. I was in Illinois then, and all I could think of was all the young women and men out there that would have the benefit of seeing they were not alone in the world. Imagine seeing Gay and Lesbian programming 24 hours a day, with gay/lesbian commercials, news stories, and movies when you were young, coming out, and feeling pressure to conform. I even started leaving my TV on the LOGO channel when I wasn't watching anything, just to confirm to the folks that monitor household viewing behavior that there was indeed at least one viewer in Illinois.
So then I moved to Texas. Called the local cable company, and was very clear I wanted to order the cable option that would insure I got the LOGO channel. No problem. Got cable installed, NO LOGO channel. Oh, there was a big black screen where it was supposed to be, but no programming. So I went on a campaign to get LOGO. I called the cable company once a week for four months, every time being told I should have LOGO, they just couldn't understand why I wasn't getting it. Then I upped the ante to one call every day for 30 days, and insisted and was credited for not having it. Still no LOGO. I finally went directly to my local cable outlet to complain in person. I was standing there discussing it with a technician (Obviously family by the way, I could tell by the ride of her toolbelt) when a sweet young motherly type standing in line with me asks "What is the LOGO channel?" I, of course, being me, smiled sweetly and replied "Why, it's the Lesbian and Gay Programming Channel" just like I was discussing a pot roast with another shopper at Safeway.

She actually stepped away from me like my hair had caught on fire. It was truly breathtaking :)

Anyway, I did end up getting the LOGO channel, and so did everyone in my viewing market. I received a bill insert on the company letterhead, explaining the problem was that LOGO was so "new" this area of Texas was not equipped to handle it's individual "key code" in cable boxes, and that the problem had been corrected in the entire area. So I am happy now that it is at least available.
And by the way, if you own a business, and apply for the free COSTCO spousal membership card for your girlfriend, you have me to thank for getting it :) But that is another story for another day...

Kicking down big walls one brick at a time. In heels.

No comments: