Saturday, July 08, 2006

STILL Avoiding the Laundry

I am probably one of the silliest carrots in the poly bag, and I know it. Speaking from the trenches of long training for work in advertising agencies, I am here to tell you there are the "suits" and the "creative" teams in every agency. I am, as you can probably tell, a "creative." Yes, feels good to admit it. Been in way too many conference sessions filled with day old pizza boxes, long dead coke cans, and various paper airplane designs to ever be able to deny it. Even in dealing with the most serious of products/subjects, the "creatives" of the agency drug it in late in the morning after being up all night "thinking" while the "suits" winced. Hey, you think a slogan like "Where's the beef?" wrote itself? OK. Maybe a bad example. The "suits" generally tolerated the "creatives," but they did realize in doing so that an environment of tolerance of the "creatives" playful qualities brought amazing creative insights right along with the pie in the face. The line was drawn around hitting the client with that pie however. Even as much as someone needed to sometimes.
I've been thinking about how "creative silliness" appears to others, how I personally define "Childish" Vs "Child like." That led to thoughts on behavior in general, then relationship issues with said behavior. That is the way my thinking works. It is not a straight line but an overlapping continuum of thoughts/ideas. And the way it works for me, soon this thought will probably lead to remembering I haven't done the laundry yet.

No comments: