Saturday, July 08, 2006

"Childish" is in the Eye of Beholder

All my life I've generally spoken to the child inside people. Professionally it has always been a gift to me, generally expressed in humor. That is not to say I do the "baby talk" thing, or even that I am all that "mothering." It is more like recognizing the adult person as the sum of all their parts, including the stages where they may have been wounded as a child. I can definitely see the difference between "childish" and "child like" behavior and generally speak and respond to the "child like." Because that is the core of the person, the part that feels wonder no matter at what age when viewing fireworks. The part that gets excited about what's under the Christmas tree. The part that is most alive, able to trust and love fully when engaged.
Everybody is wounded in some way. And some folks express it in harmful (either to themselves or others) or inappropriate ways. I think this is where addictions come in more often that not, including the regression to an infantile stage as a life coping mechanism. We all know this pathology can express itself in sex as well. Those are behaviors best left to the professionals (LOL). "Babytalk" or pet names between people don't always qualify as regression in my mind, it can be the way two people playfully acknowledge and choose to engage the child in each other. Not the only way certainly, but no less valid. I think in this case it really depends on what side you are on...engaged in the "babytalk" or witnessing it. But scratch the hardest heart out there, and you may find the part that wants to "play." And really, sometimes, this is a good thing.

No comments: