Sunday, July 30, 2006

Artist Alter of Intention : (9) Hindu Prayer Scroll Charm

I found this little Hindu Prayer Scroll last December. Like most Hindu silk prayer scrolls, the first image is of Vishnu, and although I have not opened and unraveled it I assume it shows the Hindu Gods and Goddesses in order like they usually do.
The Hindu God Vishnu is the preserver and protector of creation. Vishnu is the embodiment of mercy and goodness, the self-existent, all pervading power that preserves the Universe and maintains the cosmic order. Being a guy and in the direct line of Buddha he always goes first on the prayer scroll. My favorite Hindu Goddess (on second thought I have several) is Kali the Destroyer, generally because she is very powerfully depicted as a great female warrior, the goddess of destruction and creation. She never comes first on the scroll, but she's in there and that's enough for me. This hangs on my alter to honor the Hindu gods and goddesses, and remind me that faith has many faces and all are valid.

No comments: