Thursday, December 13, 2007

A Christmas Storybook: The Beginning of Greatness

Every year I try to buy one or two special ornaments for my collection, and as I stated before I really like old mouth blown mercury glass ornaments. In 1990 I saw these at the Smith and Hawkin Gardening Store, and I had to buy them. Even though they were newer ornaments, they were so "retro vintage" I knew I would always love them. They are over sized, and seemed pretty expensive ($25.00 each at the time) for ornaments. What I didn't know is that I was at the beginning of an ornament dynasty...as these are the very first Christmas ornaments Christopher Radko ever produced. Fast forward to the future, when he designs incredible fantasy ornaments, some priced in the hundreds of dollars; but every collector in the country is looking for these since they were such a limited edition. Of everything I've seen him make, I like my little fat snowman and Santa the best of all.

No comments: