Tuesday, January 01, 2008

All God's Chillin' Got Peas

There has never been a New Year's Day in my life I have not eaten black eyed peas on January 1st. It is an old southern tradition; my grandmother served hers in little crystal bowls at midnight. The rumor is that they bring a dollar in the New Year for every bean eaten on the first day of the year, though I don't think this is always the case. No matter how far I have been from home, when my Christmas gift arrived from my Mother there would be surely be enclosed a bag of dried black eyed peas with the note "All God's Chillin' Got Peas". So this year found me cooking and eating them with my two sisters, the rest of the family eating left overs because they wouldn't touch them with a ten foot pole. Crumbling in the cornbread and chatting with my sisters tonight I thought of my Mother smiling in heaven that we still eat our black eyed peas. But most likely this tradition will end with us.

No comments: