Friday, March 23, 2007

What I am reading: "COLOR - A Natural History of the Pallette" by Victoria Finlay


I was given this book at Christmas (Thanks Rogie), and I had no idea what to expect. I am pleased to report it is fascinating! I am about 1/2 of the way through and as much art history as I have read in my life this is a subject I never really seen covered before. The natural history and process of making the colors used in painting and how they were discovered. Ms. Finlay has done a lot of travel and research, and it is amazing to understand regional color discoveries and how this knowledge was passed down through the centuries. It is a dense book, but in a style that captures the imagination and really illustrates the "blood" that makes paintings work. I would recommend this book for those interested in history, and especially those who make or love art.

No comments: