Tuesday, October 10, 2006

What I am reading: Alison Bechdel

Still digging out from all the love lavished on me for my birthday. I did want to post about a book Wade lent me that I found really amazing. Everybody knows Alison Bechdel's work and her comic strip "Dykes to Watch Out For" but I am seriously impressed with her new book "Fun Home: A Family Tragicomic." Also in comic strip form, it covers her early life and her relationship with her closeted homosexual father with a lot of incredible honesty. The subject of "self identified butch" women's relationships to their fathers are rarely written about, and her situation, although very unusual, is an amazing read. I have always thought you could see the father (or lack of it) in every butch woman, and this book is the first I've read to show that correlation so clearly. This book was lent to me (I promise it will come back...crossing my fingers >>wink<<) but you can bet I will buy a copy for myself when I can. My highest reccomendation is indeed the urge for ownership as I simplify my own life. Excellent work!

No comments: