Thursday, May 08, 2008

Manna from Heaven

Subtitle: How the Universe manages to employ it's magic to my constant amazement.

Soon (in two days actually) my friend Pam will graduate from college. Against all odds and at great personal sacrifice she's picking up her diploma at last, and I have wracked my brain thinking of how best to honor this event. My families difficulties keep me home bound, so attending her graduation is sadly not an option. So last week I dreamed of what to do (yes, I actually did) and found myself wishing for the perfect thing. Flowers? Hmmm..not really, she is more of a red tool kinda gal. I do know she loves cookies, but what cookie could possibly mark such a milestone? What to do...what to do...

Fast forward to our garage sale where I had delivered a few of my no longer needed cookbooks. I have so many, I figured a few would do well to inspire another cook. Because of the crummy weather, my sister and I found ourselves entertaining ourselves with the contents of the sale (Yes, that really was a vinyl breast squeak toy given to me by a friend with a wicked sense of humor. I just prefer mine attached LOL) Anyway, my sister picked up one of my cookbooks and out fell a recipe card. But not just any card...I can not count how many times I had wished for this cookie recipe in the last ten years, as it is truly the best cookie anyone ever made. And here it was, just when I needed it. THE Cookie.

From Teagan, a street person I befriended in Seattle. A difficult person, her insanity could sometimes be extremely creative. (Her claim to fame, Crucified Barbie Doll art pieces she would sell on the local gallery walks.) When times were really tough for Teagan she would whip up a batch of these cookies and sell two cookies for a dollar on the streets of Capitol Hill in Seattle. Not only did I buy the cookies, everyone did, and she would go forward with enough cash for wine and another crazy month. With the right marketing she could have made a billion dollars for these cookies, but her craziness would not allow her to "sell out" to that extent. In any case, it has been my lot as a big sister in life to do my best to assist wounded birds, and so I employed Teagan whenever I could in my jewelry making business. For my birthday one year she presented me with her cherished secret cookie recipe, and I knew it was a huge gift as she had no trust left in anyone.

And here it was, delivered just for THE Big Day! So be watching your mailbox Bammy, congratulations on your accomplishment. I am so proud of you, and hope for you only the best always. And that extends to cookies as well. :) Direct from me and the bountiful Universe.

2 comments:

Bammy said...

you are so kind.. I heart you.. (snif..sniff) So.. Dont leave me hangin WHAT KINDA COOKIE IS IT? lolol...
1 day.. 5 hours 28 minutes... an 0 seconds.. as I type this...

Fo' Shizzle baby!!!

Laura Belle said...

They are beyond description :) After you have gobbled your fill come back and tell me how you would describe them ....
Tick, tick, tick...only minutes left of your degree-less exhistance. Congratulations my learn-ed friend!