Monday, September 24, 2007

What I am Reading: Curt Cobain Journals


When I saw this at the bookstore I almost passed it by since I figured it would be a little too strange and morose for me. I was in Seattle at the time these were written, and saw him on the streets of Capitol Hill as well as heard him pre-fame in concert at the Crocodile Club, so my curiosity got the best of me, and I am glad it did. This is an actual reprinting of several spiral notebooks found in Curt's possession after death. There is something very powerful about seeing his drafts of songs and reading his thoughts in his own handwriting, as jumbled and sketchy as any artist's vision is. Among sketches of video concepts, notes to friends (as drafts), and lists of equipment needed for gigs there is a human there. Trying his best in a real love/hate relationship with fame and fortune and struggling to understand and hold on to his life in a whirlwind most of us can only imagine. I was surprised at his view on gays (he actually supported them fully, and was angered by hate crimes) drugs, ( his drug use was not quite what the media reported) and what he saw for his own future. A very interesting glimpse into the creative process. I was surprised just how vulnerable he really was, and now much of what was considered "Nirvana" was Curt Cobain.

No comments: