Saturday, January 10, 2009

Maybe it WAS a Dream

That's what they did in the old Dallas TV Show when things got murky with the plot. But my absence has had a lot more to do with state of mind and computer hard drive crash then anything else, so it might not work. I am at the public library today with the express purpose of updating my blog, I will do my best.

Soon after getting the news I definitely needed surgery for my left eye I went into a depression. Been years since I've dealt with one of those deep dark holes in the fabric of life, and it was just as bad as I remembered it to be. You see, I am one of those millions of marginalized people in this great country with no health insurance, and any health crisis is just that, a real crisis. And as a visual artist (emphasis on visual) anything concerning my eyes is a scary prospect. I did manage to get the surgery, smack dab in the middle of Christmas, so many of my usual holiday traditions went straight out of the window. no Christmas cards or letters, the majority of my traditional cookies made by my family as I recuperated. The spirit wasn't cooperating, and the flesh was weak. Mia Culpa to everyone, I'll try again next year. :(

This week the bandages were finally removed, and I have a sparkling new eye. Well, new to me anyway, the same vision problems (I have always required major correction in the form of glasses) but my left eye is clear of that bloody clotting thing and as good as new. The residual medical billing is staggering however, an it leads me to have increased compassion for people that face everyday medical issues and the absence of money to fix them. I am sure I am not the only one.

Enter stage left my computer, who thought maybe this was a good time to act up and demand a new hard drive. She will return later this week hopefully, with bandages off as well. When it rains, it does indeed pour.

So I trust Christmas went on for everyone without me, and I do hope it was a great holiday. Santa was very good to Doodle, and like a child he has chewed through just about every toy he received at this point. He especially liked the chicken and rice Christmas cookies my sister made for him in the shape of Christmas trees. He thinks everyday should be like Christmas at this point, normal dog food does not compare.

I spoke to most of you during Christmas, but I want to say a special thank you to GOD in California, who only knows me from this blog, and was worried when it went suddenly silent. I do appreciate your concern, and thank you for it. You've got an extraordinary heart, don't let anyone tell you any different (even those voices in your head ...LOL. :)

No comments: